Any student who receives EMT training in South Carolina will be eligible to take the NREMT examinations once the program is complete. In SC, those who become nationally registered will have their results forwarded to the South Carolina state office, where it will be processed and students will receive a SC EMT certification card in the mail.
Requirements for EMT Training Class
Before you can enroll in an EMT training course, prospective students must first meet these requirements:
· EMT students need to be eighteen years old or older. They also should be able to establish proof of a high school diploma or a GED.
· Must have a valid driver’s license.
· Need to be able to read at a 10th grade level or higher. Prospective students are occasionally asked to supply placement results (from examinations such as ASSET or COMPASS or ACCUPLACER, which evaluate one’s academic skills in English, math, and reading).
· Need to have CPR certification and retain it over the course of the duration of the training.
· EMT students will need to show proof of the following vaccinations: Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccination/Illness, and Hepatitis B Vaccination Series. You will very likely also need the Tdap vaccine to safeguard against Tetanus, Diphtheria and Petrussis; Chicken Pox (vaccinated 2 shot series or positive titer); a negative Tuberculosis skin PPD test (within the last 12 months); a negative Chest X-ray (within the last 12 months) and a Flu shot (within the last 12 months).
· Will need to undertake a drug test and submit to a criminal history check.
In addition to these requirements, a certified EMT in South Carolina should be able lift, carry, and balance a minimum of 125 pounds equally distributed (250 pounds with assistance).
Schools and Programs
Below, please click on a school to get admissions information on their programs:
- Greenville Technical College – Greenville, SC
- Horry-Georgetown Technical College – Conway, SC
- Trident Technical College – Charleston, SC
Enrolling in an EMT School
During an EMT program in South Carolina, students will master the necessary skills to provide prehospital emergency medical care at a basic life support level. The moment the training course is competently finished, students will be able to recognize the significance of a patient’s injury and evaluate the requirement needed for emergency medical care.
Students will additionally learn to conduct proper emergency medical care based on a patient’s condition, as well as lift, position, or move a patient to restrict discomfort and prevent added injury.
Are You Ready for EMT Class?
Any EMT student who has successfully completed an EMT course in SC will have a thorough understanding of the following:
· The Human Body
· EMT-Basic Pharmacology
· Respiratory and Cardiac Emergencies
· Emergency Childbirth/Pediatric Emergencies
· Medical, Legal, and Ethical Issues in EMS
· Bleeding and Shock Management
· Hemorrhage control
· Environmental and Behavioral Emergencies
· Epinephrine Auto-Injector
· Trauma Patient Assessment
· Airway Management
· Obstetrics and Gynecological Emergencies
· Soft Tissue Injuries
· Musculoskeletal Injuries
· Head, Neck and Spine Injuries
· Vital Signs
· Infants, Children, Adolescents and Old Patients
· Lifting and Moving Patients
· Diabetic Emergencies
How Do I Become an EMT Student in South Carolina?
Once you have successfully completed your EMT-Basic course, you will then be able to apply for national certification by taking the NREMT exams. National EMT certification requires students to successfully complete both a cognitive (computer adaptive test) and psychomotor exam (skills test).
After that, those in South Carolina will be eligible to receive their SC EMT certification card in the mail. Remember, however, that anyone practicing as an EMT in SC must always have and maintain a current SC certification, as well as keep the SC certification pocket card on their person at all times.
For more information about EMT test, training, jobs, or certification, please contact:
SC DHEC, Division of EMS & Trauma
2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201