Below, please click on a school to get admissions information on their healthcare programs for those interested in becoming an EMT or Paramedic in Maine.
Schools and Programs
Eastern Maine Community College – Bangor, ME
345 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME 04401
Kennebec Valley Community College – Fairfield, ME
92 Western Avenue
Fairfield, ME – 04937
Northern Maine Community College – Presque Isle, ME
33 Edgemont Drive
Presque Isle, ME – 04769
Southern Maine Community College – South Portland, ME
2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME – 04106-1611
United Training Center – Lewiston, ME
192 Russell Street
Lewiston, ME 04240
Students will need to graduate from a state approved EMT training program in Maine before they can take the NREMT exams and apply for state licensure. Before this process can begin, students must first meet a handful of requirements prior to applying to an EMT training program. And while the requirements may vary from school to school, here are a few general prerequisites to keep in mind:
· EMT students in ME must be 18 years old or older. They also must be able to show proof of a high school diploma or a GED.
· You will need to have a valid driver’s license.
· Must be able to read at a 10th grade level or higher. Prospective students are sometimes asked to provide placement scores (from tests such as ASSET or COMPASS or ACCUPLACER, which test one’s academic skills in English, math, and reading).
· Must have CPR certification and maintain it throughout the duration of the program.
· EMT students will need to show proof of the following vaccinations: Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccination/Illness, Hepatitis B Vaccination Series, and Tuberculosis Testing. You will likely also need the Tdap vaccine to protect against Tetanus, Diphtheria and Petrussis; Chicken Pox (vaccinated 2 shot series or positive titer); a negative Chest X-ray (within the last 12 months) and a Flu shot (within the last 12 months).
· Must undergo a drug test and submit to a criminal background check.
EMT Classes in Maine
During your EMT class, students will learn all of the required skills to provide prehospital emergency medical care at a basic life support level. Once the course is successfully completed, students will be able to recognize the significance of a patient’s injury and assess the requirement needed for emergency medical care.
Students will also learn to administer proper emergency medical care based on a patient’s condition, as well as lift, position, or move a patient to limit pain and prevent additional injury.
EMT Courses in Maine
An EMT student in Maine who has completed an EMT training course is expected to have a firm understanding of the following:
· The Human Body
· EMT-Basic Pharmacology
· Respiratory and Cardiac Emergencies
· Emergency Childbirth/Pediatric Emergencies
· Medical, Legal, and Ethical Issues in EMS
· Bleeding and Shock Management
· Environmental and Behavioral Emergencies
· Epinephrine Auto-Injector
· Trauma Patient Assessment
· Airway Management
· Obstetrics and Gynecological Emergencies
· Soft Tissue Injuries
· Musculoskeletal Injuries
· Head, Neck and Spine Injuries
· Vital Signs
· Infants, Children, Adolescents and Old Patients
· Lifting and Moving Patients
· Diabetic Emergencies
Becoming an EMT in Maine
Once you have successfully completed your EMT-Basic course, you will then be able to apply for national certification by taking the NREMT exams. National EMT certification requires students to successfully complete both a cognitive (computer adaptive test) and psychomotor exam (skills test).
The NREMT-B practical exam is a state approved exam and will be given through state recognized EMT training programs. If you have any questions about EMT testing, training, or certification in Maine, be sure to contact:
Maine Board of Emergency
Central Maine Commerce Center
45 Commerce Drive, Suite 1
152 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0152
When you become a nationally registered EMT, you can then apply for licensure in the state of Maine, which will grant you permission to practice in the state.
EMT Salary in Maine
To learn more about EMT salary in Maine, as well as read more about the annual income of paramedics and flight paramedics, be sure to visit our article entitled Paramedic Salary in Maine.