A remote paramedic job can be both a rewarding and challenging career for paramedics looking to expand their work experience and find new and exciting positions and locales to work in. Many companies, agencies and private businesses hire remote paramedics for a number of positions. In addition, states, countries and specific areas scattered around the U.S as well as overseas have needs for remote paramedics in a number of positions.
While in paramedic school, medical students learned the basics of patient care in emergency situations for a range of aspects in the profession. Becoming a remote paramedic leads to training beyond the classroom knowledge and challenges each medical professional to new heights. Remote paramedic positions can range from working in wilderness areas assisting rangers and conservations experts to employment on off shore oil rigs.
In addition, many paramedics enjoy the challenging work involved in disaster relief positions that will take the medical professional around the world assisting in areas that have been devastated by both man-made and natural disasters. Companies such as frontline medical employee paramedics, EMBT and RN are on call for relief efforts using mobile medical trailers. Oil companies often hire medical professionals for daily emergency work on-hand as well as in the event of a disaster.
Where to Find Remote Paramedic Jobs
Through the age of digital communication, it is fairly simple to find a rewarding career in remote paramedic work. Medical professionals wishing to enter the challenging field will find that a plethora of resources exist online in which to search individual positions as well as work through placement agencies. Work can vary from permanent positions to on-call and many companies provide on the job training to further expand a paramedic’s education.
Paramedics wishing to pursue remote work in the medical field can use recruiting companies such as:
- Remote Medical International, which provide job placement and training for paramedics wishing to work in remote areas both within the U.S and outside of the country. For most job placement agencies, a paramedic will submit a general application for the company and then receive offers based on current positions that are available, as well as one’s own experience.
- Safety Management System hires nationally registered remote paramedics for land and maritime divisions. Paramedics hired will work in divisions of the oil and gas industries and in disaster relief situations concerning them as well. In addition to hiring services and job placement, paramedics receive a special 5 day training course to deal with the specifics of the employment.
- Industrial Safety Solutions offers employment in such remote areas as the Gulf of Mexico, Eagle Ford Shale, Africa, China, South America and the Middle Eastern areas. Each employee receives an Occumedics training program in addition to standard paramedic training obtained through schooling.
- Yahoo Groups-Remote Paramedic is devoted to paramedics working or inquiring to work in the remote paramedic field. Through this site medical professionals will find links provided by other members to sites currently hiring in the field, advice on how to complete application processes and where to look for additional employment in the field. Some companies also post listings and company information through the site for potential remote paramedics to find work.
In addition, paramedics may search several job sites dedicated to remote paramedic work such as Indeed.com, Simply Hired. Within job sites, paramedics must apply for each listing separately so it is wise to generate a strong online resume for the application process. Other companies that hire specifically for designated areas, such as RemoteMedics.co.uk, place job inquiries through Yahoo Groups.
And of course, for the sake of convenience, you can feel free to use our paramedic job board, where you can search for EMS positions both inside and outside of America.
Social media is an excellent source of networking for additional job placement in the field of remote medical work. Many general social media sites have pages and sites devoted to the field of remote paramedics and several specific social sites exist specifically for medical professionals. Such sites as:
- Ems1community.com contains forums and chats with other medical professionals both seeking employment and currently employed in remote work
- Facebook.com has community pages dedicated to finding remote paramedic work
- Emtlife.com offers another forum and blog site generated specifically for paramedics with topics and sources for remote employment
- Twitter is devoted to connecting employers with qualified medical professionals in a range of fields. Paramedics will find many sections designated for remote work both in the U.S and abroad
- Linkedin Jobs is another excellent social medical site in which paramedics can find remote work. Medical professionals can search for paramedic positions by job title, specific regions and company name and receive mobile updates when a new position in the field is posted.
What are the Benefits and Drawbacks to Remote Work?
When it comes to remote paramedic pay and benefits, the salary will be position based. In addition, professionals need to be wary of some organizations that assist in job placement to remote areas that charge a placement fee. The average nationwide salary for a remote paramedic is approximately $56,000 yearly and can be higher or lower depending on the position one acquires.
Currently there are 25 federally funded USAR (United States Army Reserve) task forces scattered in remote areas around the United States that employ paramedics. Federal positions will also come with added benefits such as state-funded pensions, disability, death coverage, medical insurance and more.
When it comes to industrial safety positions such as those on an oil rig, salaries vary greatly but the general rule is that the more dangerous the position, the higher the pay will be. These high risk positions often add additional benefits such as bonus pay and health insurance.
Remote paramedic work can be a rewarding career with a multitude of benefits depending on the position. Educational advancement, challenging work, higher pay and the ability to travel are just some of the positives involved in the field. However with great reward comes great risk, and there are many for remote paramedics who place their lives in danger each day in rescue and relief duties. It is wise for paramedics interested in this career to weigh out the costs and benefits of each individual job before jumping into the career.
Do remember that Paramedic Training Spot is your #1 option for finding the best and most relevant information pertaining to how you can become a paramedic.